Sunday, September 10, 2006

So this is college?

I am really loving it here. I feel confident that I came to the right college, picked--to a large extent--the right classes, and have some decent teachers. The football team crushed Illinois at the home game yesterday, and I saw 30 of the 33-0 game, so spirit was high and exciting. Rutgers is definitely the place for me.

I gather that practices for the team will start within a week or so, and I've been going to a couple pickup games around campus that the team is running. So far, I see several solid players who play, several scrubs with potential, and some of us in-betweeners--partially skilled, close to athletic, and excited to play. I say nothing, of course, of the countless kids chucking mini-frisbees, and accept them as a feature of college. I do meet, however, a decent number of people who either played some pickup in high school or are interested in playing some college disc, but either "have no time" or are not "good enough" to play. I get the impression that the ultimate team, in years past, was a little exclusive and isolationist, maybe because they got jaded when scores of people showed up for the first two weeks and quit, year after year.

I take a different view of the matter. I honestly want to bring as many people as are interested in the sport, because I know what it has done for me. Of course, I recognize that not everybody will fall in love like I did, but how could they without at least a taste? So my big idea is an intramural league that runs all spring, rather than one single intramural tournament. At some point, though, I know I'm going to shift focus to my own game; in my junior and senior year of high school, I helped and coached other players far more than I improved my own game, and I don't want to miss the opportunity I have now to improve.

In that vein, I hope to attend div2 of the founder's club sectionals on the 17th with a pickup team of fellow Rutgers freshman, plus a couple others from high school. Should be fun.

No comments: