Tuesday, August 04, 2009

A-League Semifinals

I knew it would not be an easy game, but I was feeling surprisingly good about our chances after we traded to 4-4. Even with low numbers, I thought we had the right mix of players to get the job done. Alas, Roots ran off a bunch of breaks in the middle of the game and we couldn't get our heads on straight to stop the bleeding, much less crawl back out of the hole. Roots was also looking particularly calm and collected with the disc, and I think they played a very clean game compared to most times I've played them. For some reason I felt like I was getting open downfield pretty easily, though not always at the right time to get the disc. Either way, that felt good because one of the priorities that made me choose Illuminati over Rutgers was that I wanted to become a more dangerous cutter. Judging by the several hucks I caught with defensive pressure (and another one I dropped in the endzone, d'oh!) I think I've made progress on that front. I had one deep shot that was to an open receiver, but Bode made a great play and got the D so that was a turnover...otherwise, I think I played pretty conservatively, maybe one or two other (completed) deep throws but mostly under and upline cuts. We ended up losing 10-15 or so, and I can't say I'm surprised but I am somewhat disappointed. I think we could have been a much better team this year, but I guess whatever mix we had didn't produce a "winner" mindset team.

No comments: