Saturday, September 17, 2011

DM

Whether I woke up to the buzzing of my watch or the buzzing in my head, I can't rightly say. What I do know is that breakfast consisted of Fanta, Schnitzel, and a recap of everybody's questionable decisions from my friend's bachelor party the night before. Pretty soon, though, I had to brush my teeth and hike back to the Hauptbahnhof for my train back to Frankfurt. I barely slept on the train, and when we rolled into Frankfurt three hours later I didn't feel much better. After rushing back to my temporary home to grab my cleats, I took the S-bahn back the other direction to Nied and walked to the fields. The Mainz guys were already playing their first game of the day, so I warmed up quick to be ready. I didn't play at all, though, instead watching from the sidelines as they lost the game (but somehow, won the pool by point differential in a 3-way tie). After a long bye (in Europe, formats are staggered and teams almost never have two games back to back) we played the semi-finals play-in game. This time I was able to get in the game, and I did well so they kept asking me to keep playing. I scored a couple goals, threw one or two and felt fast (everybody else had played all of Friday already!). It was fun, even though we lost. The other Feldrenner guys were pretty disappointed, but for obvious reasons I was insulated from all of that. The cool thing was that I got to see Anna, who was there playing with a women's team from Franconia (Frankas). We had a nice chat at the end of the day before I hitched a ride back to Hofheim with the Feldrenner captain.

No comments: