Thursday, June 29, 2006

on Moving On:

Having graduated from high school, finished my last season of juniors Ultimate with a 3rd place finish in the State Championships, colored the rest of the season with strong performances in various tournaments, and led my team to a 22-11-2 record, I now feel a little lost.

I fell in love with Ultimate immediately in the fall of my freshman year. It is my passion. Throughout high school, though, I had a team, and I had a place on that team. I knew the story we had, and cared deeply about the team. Now, I'm captaining a summer league team, and there's no story. I'm leading college kids, guys that are better than I, and for no real reason other than I stepped up before the season started and asked to captain. I don't quite feel like I belong, especially because my performance hasn't fallen into place yet.

So I'm ready to be a freshman again. I need a captain, somebody to take me under their wing. Also, it's time to stop talking about making better decisions on the field, playing chilly, and playing better defense; it's time to do it.

It's time to get back to the game I love.

No comments: