Tuesday, December 02, 2008

Run, Practice

Ran to practice:
3.1mi in 23:40 (1.5 in 11:30, 1.6 in 12:10)

After warmups and thrower-marker, we split into 5 teams for a round-robin mini tournament. I did half the warmup, meaning the jog and stretch but not the dynamics. I threw, but opted out of thrower-marker to save the thumb from potential catastrophe. In mini I ran the gamut, from playing conservative and moving the disc quickly and efficiently, to putting up blade flick hucks and big hammers for goals. Many of the shots were successful, some were barely out of reach (receiver error! okay maybe not) and some were just bad decisions. My short throws were good, though, and I get open when I wanted to. I played good defense most of the time, occasionally sagging after the point dragged on, but I played really good deep D. Most of the time I boxed out really well, but I also got two huge sky D's with my left hand, wrapped in an ace bandage, at the peak of my jump. Both were against taller opponents, so that felt pretty damn good. I also got a handblock, which was a little surprising because I could only put up half a mark, with my left hand usually behind my back (or at least out of the way).

But my team lost all but one "game"--even though we won a decent number of games to 3, apparently only the first one counted each round (who set up this tournament?). Did I mention, I think teams were unfair...the only team we beat definitely got the short end of the stick, but my team was mostly bottom-of-the-barrel returners. The captain that picked teams definitely gave himself the strongest team, and (no surprise) went undefeated. C'est la vie, it felt really good to play despite the frustration I had for the leadership. This included the way that the team each round with a bye ran some handler-motion reps, but they were being taught by a guest coach who did not do things the way Mio has taught us. A little weird, but luckily my team got that out of the way in the first round.

No comments: