Friday, July 28, 2006

Summer League Woes

When I got home from summer league yesterday, I saw that one of my players (decent handler, but not much else to speak of, let's call him Mr. Complaints) had written the yahoo group and complained about how the game had degenerated into a "callfest." He noted that most of our players were in high school, none of our players were over 21, and so our lack of experience meant that we didn't know the rules that well. Mr. Complaints felt that it was unnecessary for the other team to make so many calls in "bad spirit" and that it was especially uncalled for in a summer league game.

I disagree.

Yes, some of the calls were "bad calls." That's what happens with a self-officiated sport in a league setting. Some people are inherently competitive, and will play their heart out regardless of the venue, and some may even take advantage of the rules. True, some people on the field didn't know the rules. There were only 3 high school players present, though, and none of them made bad calls (in fact, they could have made more calls, and didn't). I found that I was the one explaining the rules to the other team when they were not sure about specifics. I read the rules, have read them many times (I had to play Columbia High School). I know most of the rules pretty well. Not all, not perfectly, but pretty well. It seemed to me like there may have been questionable calls, but they came from both teams and none were made with intent to cheat. I felt like most of the animosity came from Mr. Complaints, and the only thing that this negative energy achieved was to provoke the other team into being more abrasive.

For example, I usually marked up against the other team's main handler, a tall and reasonable quick guy with good hucks and hammers. I've played with/against him before in pickup, and he's generally a nice guy. After a couple bad calls were made, this guy started to justify the calls of his teammates, or cite the rules. Once, he cut deep into the endzone, the throw went up high, I ran behind him to set up my position, boxing him out as the disc flew behind us. He turned around and said "I would appreciate it if you didn't elbow me when trying to defend me," but made no call. Another time, his teammate caught the disc near the outer edge of the endzone, and Mr. Complaints said "check feet." My check yelled "he was still in after he ran five feet." Unnecessary animosity, yes? In any case, his attidude definitely changed once Mr. Complaints started bitching.

I have dealt with bad spirit and really bad calls before, and learned to deal with them. Honestly, it seems like the best way to handle the situation is to be the "bigger man," not stooping to their level and not complaining about their lack of spirit. You lead by example, and beat them by playing a hard, fair game. I'm a big fan of observers, although I hate the idea of referees. I think we should be able to play the sport without compromising SOTG or individual integrity, and still have the sport be exciting and fun.
Self-officiation is part of ultimate, and you have to respect the other team's right to make calls. If you can't handle it, play another sport.

No comments: