Tuesday, June 30, 2009

A-League Game 6

vs Rutgers Machine and Friends. This team was fired up to play us, and we were unusually shorthanded. Tight for the first couple points, soon the "Hillsboro Curse" reared its ugly head and Rutgers took advantage of key unforced Illuminati errors to go up by a few breaks. We were giving them the disc and not playing nearly respectable enough defense to stop their offensive flow. Hucks from Bill Sanborn and break throws from Ryan Thorpe tore us apart, and where their younger/newer faces were coming up with nice grabs, we were dropping or turfing the disc every couple passes. After they took half and we settled down a bit, we started to turn the tide back in our favor, creeping back to tie it at 13-13 and then breaking twice for a 15-13 win.

I had a nice (toot toot) huck D in the beginning while covering Bill, and played strong shut-down dump defense, but let off break throws and threw 3 turnovers in the second half. Not a good game for us, but we pulled it out. I was really impressed with the fire from Rutgers in the first half, and I wonder how many of them understand that they had us on the coals--a little more focus and they would have had their first win. I'm proud of the way they played...don't want to say I'm happy they lost, but I'm happy we didn't lose. I guess that's what happens when I switch teams for the summer.

No comments: