Wednesday, June 10, 2009

A-Leauge Game 3

vs Roots. I got there late because other kids in the carpool were late, so the game was already going on and we were down by two. I got in a few points on O without warming up, we scored them so I sat, not ready to play a whole point of defense. My first point I went deep, got hucked to, BLi fouled me and I lost control of the disc, didn't call the foul. But the thrower had been fouled too, so disc came back and I got it underneath, we worked it up and scored. By the second half I was ready and got in for both O and D points. I remember being tight to my man the whole time, denying his first cut and being close enough to put pressure on the second option, but that was generally deep and I got skied twice. It was good that I caught up both times to at least make a play on the disc, especially considering they were flat throws past a straight-up mark, but it still sucks to get skied.

The game was physical, which I generally welcome and enjoy, but I felt like a few players crossed the line I draw for myself when I'm playing physically--grabbing and blocking with the arms, pushing off the defender when cutting, etc. I'm still not really sure what to do about it, because I don't feel comfortable calling these kinds of fouls. On the other hand, I don't like the intentional fouling and I don't do it, so when my opponent does I'm putting myself at a disadvantage. Plus it's summer league, so I feel like upping the ante with an elbow or two is really not appropriate, whereas it might be for an intense club game. I usually walk away feeling like it's my responsibility to just play better, and not let the opponent be close enough to pull cheap moves on me like that. Easier said than done, but at least I can work towards that without having to feel like I've sunk to their level.

Anyway, we ended up losing by a couple. I think that result will change as Illuminati gels more into the season, but what I will say about Roots is that they play with a lot of fire--and that's fun, even if I'd sometimes prefer things to be a little cleaner.

No comments: