Wednesday, February 06, 2008

Team Lift

pullups: 8, 4 at +10lb, 5
3x10 DB squat + shoulder press, 25lb
2x10 forward lunge at +40lb
10 backward lunge at +40lb
3x8 dips

I got to throw around yesterday in beautiful 50 degree weather with one of the freshmen. I was out there in a t-shirt, pants rolled up to my knees, enjoying the warmth. My throws came back a little, and even though my hucks weren't feeling quite as buttery as I would like, I figure that's what happens over winter break. At least my mid-ranges were acceptable, and I was starting to find my various release points again. I've been having some trouble for the past year with my low backhand--I think it's because I've been trying to step further out laterally, and my body isn't used to the rotation and form for that kind of throw. I need to find my way to that low, slow-rising, smooth and flat throw so nice to receive on an in-cut.

My forehand felt better than I might have thought it would, after the last couple Buccleuch pickup games. Limited distance, but good form. My hammers were accurate, which was cool, though I'll probably be hesitant to break them out this weekend--I hear it gets windy in Vegas.

I gave a few pointers to the freshman to help him work on his longer backhands, 40 yards plus. He caught on quickly, probably because he wasn't far from having that throw already. It's nice to see improvement in the young guys. It would be even nicer if he had a consistent forehand, too, but that takes time. Something in his release was giving it a wobble, but I couldn't tell. It reminded me of how I want to tape myself throwing to analyze a little more closely how solid my form is, why a small percentage of my throws come out weird, how I can improve. Especially once I get a mark on me, then it would be useful to see what processes I go through to break him.

In the meantime, I think it would be valuable to work on a few specific things in Vegas. I noticed in some of the past videos that my arms often drooped on the mark, so I want to consciously keep them out wide and have a strong mark. Second, I'm going to focus on completing all my dump throws and catches. I figure it's a good place to start eliminating risks and drops, since these cuts more strongly stress possession. Finally, I want to be a positive presence on the sideline. That gives me one specific focus for each of the three things I'm doing at a tournament--D, O, and sideline. I'm really pumped for this tournament--watching some of the college UVTV footage, the Rhino reels, etc. It all starts Friday.

4 comments:

Brian Li said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Brian Li said...

i love that rhino reel, gets me so pumped up

808 said...

Worry less: pools, brackets
Worry more: throws, sunscreen

dkieffer said...

washed up former college player anxiously awaiting your vegas recap...