Sunday, January 25, 2009

Practice, Lift

Forgot my cleats and had to break into my own second-floor apartment by scaling a wall. That was an adventure. Remind me not to be forgetful.

Anyway, I made it back and cleated up in time for dynamics, which is perfect because I am not a big fan of the warmup jog or extensive static stretching prior to a workout. After the warmup was thrower-marker drill, and I worked on varying my distance to put different kinds of pressure on the thrower within the same stall count. I was throwing with the gardening gloves, which didn't give me the same kind of problems other gloves have.

After that we split up into A and B, and A further split into O and D for an X-pull. The focus was on the pull play, so I got to run through some of the different positions and get back into full-field Ultimate. The D team got one chance to score after they forced a turn, but they only scored once--most of their attempts were cut short by Growney's kickblocks (absurd). Our team scored several times, but I don't think the pull play ever put the point away by itself. It was cold. After however many reps of this, we added the B team kids into the mix and made it a fully live game to 7. The D team had us 4-6 and we came back with three straight to win it. That felt good, and I think I played well overall. Solid defense. I threw some turnovers, but our lines were a little watered down and I guess I took more shots because of it. Yelled at a couple newer kids when they were unaware that they were in my way. Overall, it was a good practice--we had 15 A-teamers and a solid group of B guys, so I was pleased about that. Although it makes me wonder why they don't come out for Saturday pickup...

Later, in the gym:
6 overhead squats, 45lb
6 overhead squats, 6 shoulder press 55b
6 overhead squats, 6 shoulder press 65b
6 overhead squats, 5 shoulder press 75b
Back squats: 6 at 115, 6 at 125, 6 at 135lb
Incline bench press: 4 at 115, 8 at 95, 3 at 105lb

with a 5lb DB held between the feet:
3x10 seconds hanging knee tuck+hold
5 pullups, knees tucked

No comments: