Wednesday, October 26, 2011

Feldrenner Training

The structured throwing practice and the warmup drill we did really made me think about how much further along the team here in Mainz is fundamentally from Frankfurt. I don't know whether they understand the game better, or whether this team's leaders just put more thought into planning practices, but I'm a big believer in doing drills that mimic real-game situations. Even though there were plenty of errors in both cities (both teams have beginners even at their "experienced" practices) I felt a lot more incentive to push myself and improve tonight, compared to Monday, because the drill actually made sense to me. After that we played 3v3 continuous-passes, which is super tiring because I'm not used to non-stop Atlas-style play like that, and after a while my defense started really suffering...but then we moved into a full-field 7v7 mixed scrimmage, 3/4 the way it ought to be, and that was pretty great. I still can't get over how nice it is to play on a turf field, 7-9pm under the lights. I mostly handled, half the time wondering why they don't dump/swing enough and the other half of the time throwing goals to girls. Boom.

No comments: