Monday, November 21, 2011

Eintracht Training

The worst practice yet. I got there half an hour late and they were still warming up. Then for the next thirty to forty minutes we went over the coach-guy's new "strategy", an L-stack with so many tactical problems that I couldn't believe he actually thought it would work. Especially with the average throwing ability here in Frankfurt, it was just miserable. We split into two groups and drilled it, and I think two passes were completed in a row maybe twice. When I walked to the side to practice my lefty backhands with one of the more advanced players, coach-guy stopped the whole practice and brought everybody in, then explained that everybody on the sideline had to watch the players doing the drill. That it was a tactic-based practice, so we had to pay attention. But he also explained that he wasn't going to go into detail about how to play the L-stack in different situations--we were supposed to pretend we would only be forced one direction, that the disc would always start on the sideline, and that nobody would ever poach. We were forbidden to poach. It was a giant waste of time, and I'm starting to really get frustrated. It's hard to even exploit the practice for my own purposes, which I usually try to do by matching up against some of the more experienced players, or testing my patience as a thrower when not one single person is cutting for me. But this practice made me really reconsider whether it's worth spending three hours on Monday night diddling around with such little opportunity to play real ultimate. Next week maybe I'll just go for a run.

Oh, and 90 minutes of yoga beforehand.

No comments: