Sunday, July 08, 2007

Yoga

Got driven to yoga tonight. Skipped my last few workouts, because I'm working and this whole workout-alone thing is difficult. Not just yoga tonight, though, we also did some basic weight exercizes.

3x
(15 incline dumbbell press at 20lb
24 lunges, 20lb in each hand
24 crunches on the ball
16 deadlifts, 40lb)

Ran home in less than 16 minutes. Not timed this time, the iPod was dead. I tried to borrow a concept from Dusty and "win the workout", and I felt pretty good about the run. I tried not to be concerned with the fact that I wouldn't have a legitimate time to record, but it was a little frustrating. The good news is, I registered for unlimited yoga classes for the rest of the summer, and found a running partner for post-yoga runs.

Tonight I watched the Federer-Nadal match. Fed seemed very inconsistent throughout the first few sets, but he really turned it on for the last one. I was pretty amazed at the clutch play of his final set. It's worthwhile to note the correlation to the 2006 and 2007 College Championship games. In '06, what really stood out for me was how many times Wisco overthrew their receivers on hucks--it's a fairly obvious observation, forgive me. In '07, though, they had 4 or 5 turnovers in the whole game. They really tightened up their throws, displayed top-to-bottom fundamentals, and played clutch all day long. In physical matchups against some of the top players in the country (Dahl and Kittredge, most notably), they consistently outplayed the other man. They seemed to beat Beau by forcing him under and then playing incredible D when he did go deep. To me, to sky the arguably most athletic player in the college game is by definition to play clutch. At their other opportunities, they brought the big, stinky cheese. Great grabs, smothering defense--they did the damn thing, and I don't think they even peaked in the traditional sense of the term. What's the point? Champs bring it when it counts.

No comments: