Thursday, September 13, 2007

Lift, Practice

15 bench press 85lb
8 bench press 85lb
8 bench press 80lb
8 dumbbell bench press 30lb
20 cable fly 7.5lb
8 bench press 45lb

A team tryout practice tonight. Warmup, throwing, triangle drill, straight-on drill, cutting drill, scrimmage, sprints. I poached too much during the scrimmage, my teammates have informed me, so I'll have to remember to stick to the basics in practice. Practice what we preach, in other words...

My hucks during the drill were consistently on point, and my throws to in-cuts felt much nicer than Tuesday's. They had the right feel and the right flight path to receivers. I was feeling better about moving the disc in scrimmage, too. There were times when throwers got stuck, and most of the time we completed something to get it off the line--although one time I threw into a poach for the up-line dump cut. The intended receiver caught it, but there was a small collision. Some other miscommunications worked out, too, but I was a little harsh when a cutter cut off my dump cut. I was more upset because he had played in high school, but should have kept cool because we haven't taught that much yet, and I shouldn't have expected him to know. I changed my cut, though, and caught the disc in the endzone. Always nice.

I tried to mark against returners, so even though I poached too often I still got to play some solid D. Especially against the roommate, I worked hard. He was staying closer to the disc than he usually does, but he took me deep a couple times too, and blew me away at least once with his raw acceleration. I stayed tight other than that one time, though, and even kick-blocked him. He slapped a mark so tight on me after that kickblock that I thought he might have been trying to somehow get in my shorts with me, but I was expecting the physicality and worked through it (although it took me a lot longer in the count than usual). I got a few breaks off and hit a lot of swings, mostly because my guys downfield were cutting for them, which impressed me and made me happy. It's really nice when teammates take the initiative and do the right thing, especially when they are new and you aren't altogether expecting it.

The sprints at the end felt awesome. The 30 pushups I had to do when my straight-on drill lost the completions-in-a-row game felt less awesome, after benching earlier in the day. Looking back, I am not proud of the D's I got, because most of them came from poaching. That was dumb, because they didn't mean anything.

I'm really looking forward to tomorrow's returner practice and Club Sectionals this weekend.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

what were machine's numbers on thursday?

Ariel Jackson said...

I would say we had 50+ people on thursday.

hit a lot of swings, mostly because my guys downfield were cutting for them, which impressed me and made me happy. It's really nice when teammates take the initiative and do the right thing, especially when they are new and you aren't altogether expecting it.

I'm not sure I look at this in the same way. What you see as swings I saw as people still cutting side-to-side out of the stack. If it was a returner cutting for a swing, then I would throw it, but I tried to only throw to people making the cuts that we've taught them. This meant I forced a few throws, or couldn't really throw it because everyone was cutting off the really good in-cut that a rookie was making. But, I think it's important now to reward people for doing what we teach them, not reward people for doing what they feel like, even if that helps you move the disc or score.

Lu Wang said...

i will see u this weekend nigga. u shall be eating dust