Tuesday, March 24, 2009

Hair of the Dog

After playing 20 games over 7 days without getting enough sleep on any of their preceding nights, I needed to do something to get my body back. The bruises and scrapes are healing, the bursitis is smaller but still very much there, the muscles tired but not too tight, and overall I'm feeling the season but looking forward to the next few steps.

Yesterday, I stretched for over an hour at the gym. I hit all the muscle groups while breathing nice and deep, and threw in a set of 10 DB overhead squats at 15lb for good measure. I also competed my first unassisted muscle-up, but couldn't repeat the feat in subsequent tries. It took some good momentum and the knurled bar, but I did it and it felt good.

Today, I hit the pool to work the lungs and work out the kinks in my muscles. With limited rest after each lap, here's what I did:

4x50 freestyle
2x50 backstroke
50 breaststroke
50 butterfly
4x50 freestyle
2x50 backstroke
50 breaststroke
50 butterfly

4x50 freestyle

Total was 1000yds. For the last 4x50 free, I tried to take as few breaths as possible for each length. It ended up being 3/4, 2/3, 1/2, 1/3. After the swim I threw with Abe for 45 minutes, then did the following ab workout with Frenchy:

1 round Marine Abs
(50 crunches, plank, 20 scissor kicks, right plank, 20 flutter kicks, left plank, 50 crunches, legs raised for 20 counts)
3x10 hanging knees-to-elbows
1 round Angry Dave Abs
(10 hip raises, 10 leg raises, 10 leg raises right, 10 leg raises left, 10 leg raises, 10 hip raises)
10 pushups at +45lb (weight plate on back)
15 full body crunches

No comments: