Tuesday, September 10, 2013

Rec Soccer

Signed up for a rec soccer league with a coworker's team. Our opponents tonight played the first half one man down apparently, which explains why it seemed so easy to play defense. I mostly played defense, but not particularly well--I have never played soccer in my life and, unsurprisingly, wasn't really able to do much other than run around. Got open on a few breakaways, cleared the ball a few times when it came my way, and watched our second-half goalie get roasted for about seven goals. Yeah. First half ended 0-0, second half we switched goalies and the team captain apparently goes all deer-in-the-headlights when facing a shot. It was a bloodbath.

But it was kinda cool to run around, and maybe as the season goes on I'll figure out how to approximate what I see when watching Team USA or the Deutsche Nationalmanschaft. At any rate it'll be good cross-training, I got winded in the second half after putting actual effort into covering on defense.

No comments: