Monday, June 11, 2007

Air Alert

Warnings be damned, I'm going for it.

My vertical and deep game have never been impressive. I'm hoping that both of those change this summer.

My chest and triceps have always been fairly weak, and breaking my wrist probably deteriorated the muscles even further. I've decided to start building them back up slowly.

I've been thinking about playing club this summer, and have even gone to several mixed tournaments and had a lot of fun. The point was to get experience playing against opponents of a higher level, to learn from the challenge and improve my skills and knowledge of the game. I've done a little bit of that, but now that I have the opportunity to play open, I don't think I want to make the committment. Some new open team has started up, realistically hopes to place well at Regionals, wants consistent attendance at practices. The Real World is settling in on me, though. I dropped some dough on the last two tournaments (Bell Crack and Mixed Easterns) and Tuition looms on the horizon. I'm working, but sort of part-time, albeit with a good hourly rate. I want a car, need to start saving, and playing Ultimate is a serious financial committment. I don't really want to say no, and I don't really want to say "hey! look at me! I'm more of an adult now, and can make adult decisions!". But it looks like this is the way it has to be right now.

I still look forward to Skylands. I really want to play with my teammates again, so hopefully I'll be able to snag them in the draft or through trades. At this point, I'm not sure how good the team will be, compared to all the other teams. I'm also not sure that I care. Is it a great idea to play with your teammates in summer league, rather than spreading out to draw experience and information from the rest of the community? I don't know. Part of me believes that that cohesion is important to develop now, though, because it was definitely something Rutgers lacked all year.

Workout: Air Alert, week 1
2x(8 pushups, 8 dips, 8 dumbbell press 15lb, 16 fly 5lb)

No comments: