Thursday, June 14, 2007

Pickup

I went to the the last day of pickup prior to the summer league season tonight. Pickup sucks. I mean, it was fun to run around a little bit, catch some, throw some, get a couple D's. Even though it wasn't scrubby pickup, though, it didn't have the quality feel of pickup between players on the same team. Plus, there was a jerk or two on the field. Personally, I made a few drops and maybe one (catachable) bad throw. Definitely rusty, my hands just didn't feel ready for the disc. I threw a couple medium forehands, one medium backhand...several times my man cut deep, I closed the gap to within a yard, and just couldn't get my hand on the disc.

I've determined that it's not that I dislike playing defense, I just don't like playing defense by myself. I love team defense, I can get into the right mindset--especially on D points. But in pickup, there's no drive. I also sometimes didn't know how to assert myself on offense, just because there wasn't any strategy or organization. I'll be happy once our actual games start.

Alumni game tomorrow. That's why I went to shake the rust off today.

Workout: 2.5 hours pickup

No comments: