Tuesday, June 19, 2007

Air Unalert

I've decided to drop Air Alert in the second week for the second time. I've reassessed my fitness goals and decided that, during the summer, I will primarily focus on general conditioning. I hope to follow a more gradual progression through the next year, in order to peak around Regionals in the spring. Having already done some base 2-3mi runs, I'll start my track workouts very soon, incorporate some skills and drills when I can get running partners, and prepare the rest of my body for more intense workouts in the fall. As previously mentioned, I'm trying to slowly build strength and muscular endurance in my upper body. Once I get back to Rutgers, I'll be able to begin a more dedicated lifting program.

It wasn't that Air Alert was too intense, because certainly the first weeks are not bad. I'll admit to being worried about my joints, even though I've never had knee or ankle problems, but really it's that the "vertical jump bible" convinced me that a certain level of strength is required before advanced plyometrics will provide their optimum benefit. So, after some fall strength training in the Rutgers weight room, I'll be able to do plyometric exercises in the winter. I'll probably not use Air Alert, but rather come up with my own program, drawing from the "bible" and other sources, as well as sprint and hill workouts. With the spring, I'd like to move into interval training--both in the weight room and in sprint workouts. Tabata intervals, in particular, sound beastly effective.

Workout: 3x(16 shoulder raises forward 5lb, 16 shoulder raises lateral 5lb, 16 military press 15lb, 16 shoulder shrug 15lb)

No comments: