Sunday, January 13, 2008

Pickup with Contacts

I recently acquired contacts. I got dailys, and basically they are for days I play Ultimate. I just got to try them out for their intended purpose this weekend.

Buccleuch Park on Saturday had a good turnout, but I showed up late. I threw my cleats on upon arrival, jumped on the line, and promptly contributed to several turnovers--a throwaway or two, a missed catch, and I got handblocked. I beat Dusty to a huck, but the disc bumped off my hand--I could only shake my head. Things got a little better as time went on, and eventually I started playing decent Ultimate--smart throws, etc. It was fun, either way, and the weather was better than I expected it to be. I didn't even need underarmour!

Didn't need it today, either. I played 2v2 on a small field with some of the Watchung players/alums, and the temperature was at that weird level where you just barely don't need underarmour, as long as you're running around. We took a lot of water breaks, but it was fun. Got the body used to moving on the field and hitting cutters in stride. On offense, I mostly focused on my defender's momentum. It's easy to find open space when he's all you have to worry about.

Later on, Thales put together some pickup in the bubble on Busch Campus. Indoors, full-field, no wind, incredible. It was me and a bunch kids from Highland Park, mostly grads. A few others were there, but left shortly after I arrived (maybe it was my fault, ha). We played 5v5 on a full field, and it was pretty chill. Semi-competitive--I tried on offense, and sometimes on defense, but there was definitely some screwing around. It felt good to "play" twice in one day, though, even if neither game was full 7v7. I'm getting more and more excited about the spring season. More running is in order.

2 comments:

NJ State Youth Coordinator said...

Bubble Ultimate? No way...

That hasn't happened since Shakti first went to Nationals in '97.

gapoole said...

Connections, sir. We have connections now.

Of course, it's a long way off from having the bubble for practice during the season. Small steps, though, I suppose.