Monday, August 04, 2008

Jog, Pushups

So, at FCS I realized that I had been neglecting certain areas of my body in workouts. I feel like my legs are coming along fairly well, considering the injury--I haven't lost too much speed, and I'm trying to slowly ramp up to gain back the endurance that I lost. My upper body has been feeling soft, though. After doing so much strength work during the year, I've thought for a while that it is probably a good idea to tone up. Somehow I need to find a good strength to mass ratio, and the ability to be explosive throughout a tournament. I figure I will be able to take the punishment better with a hard body and greater work capacity. This also fits into my most recent epiphany about Machine: too many of us are soft athletes. Most of us are short, many of us ran in high school but few played field sports, and overall we only have a couple guys who can take and give punishment out there. I think we need to toughen up. I'll wite a more detailed post soon about Rutgers and how I think my role on the team is changing, but the best advice I've gotten recently is "lead by example." So I intend to.

The first task is to forge a stronger core. During our game against Los, I started cramping up in my side and felt like my ability to sprint had been compromised. Fuck that, I need my core to do everything in this sport--run, throw, mark, etc. So it's time to sack up and do work.

1.85mi jog/run
wall sits: 60sec on, 3x(30sec off, 30sec on)
20 pushups
20 crunches
15 staggered pushups (left down right up)
15 yoga situps
15 staggered pushups (left up right down)
15 v-ups
10 fist pushups
10 alternating crunches
5 close-grip pushups, 5 wide-grip pushups, 5 pushups
30 alternating crunches

No comments: