Monday, August 11, 2008

Nucci, Pike Practice

I picked up with the "MCUDLers" at the Nucci Cup. Playing bad Ultimate has not very much fun for me right now. I did enjoy playing against SoL, though--had some good break throws and played what I thought was good defense on one of their strong players.

Pike practice, though, was much better. I was just a little tight from Saturday, enough to make me work during warmups, and I liked the feeling. We basically did a 3-pull then drill, repeat repeat, then a scrimmage to 9. The O team lost all the 3-pulls, but won the final scrimmage. It rained pretty hard for about half of practice, but in short spurts that came and went every five minutes or so. I think the best part was that nobody complained--the weather was a welcome challenge, and while it did affect play (and the O still needs a ton of work) there were no heads hanging. The structure kept things competitive, and other than two throwaways in the same point I felt pretty good throughout practice (despite all the pushups I had to do). But I'm still trying to figure out how to make plays on offense, rather than being content to fall into a limited role as either handler or cutter--get the disc and do something dangerous with it, instead of just moving it when it comes to me or creating space for others. It's no good to be passive or timid out there with this team, so I'm looking to be more or a threat. I did throw some breaks and some goals, and boxed a guy out really well for a sky goal. That felt good.

No comments: