Thursday, November 15, 2007

Lift

squats: 5 at 0, 8 at 45, 6 at 135, 4 at 155, 2x6 at 135
8 pistols (single leg squats, full ROM) each leg
15 external shoulder rotations 7.5lb
15 internal shoulder rotations 7.5lb
15 shoulder abduction 5lb
15 shoulder adduction 5lb
3x8 single-leg calf raises each leg

I got scared doing the squats. I tried to do 155lb, and my form started to suffer. I couldn't go as deep as I wanted to, and I leaned forward on my third rep and my abs told me that I was an idiot--I started to lose intra-abdominal pressure and it scared me. I leaned back (probably not a good idea) and recovered, carefully did one more rep and dropped the weight back down. I either need stronger abs or I need to add weight more slowly. Or both. Either way, for my last set with the bar I made sure I was going deep enough by adjusting the bars on the rack so the bar on my shoulders could touch them when my butt was below my knee. I would tap the rack bars lightly at the bottom of each squat. It was harder this way, which tells me, again, that I should take things slowly and focus on good form, not adding weight.

The Vertical Jump Bible recommends being able to squat 1.5 x body weight before moving into serious plyometric exercise...that's roughly 210lb, so it'll take some time for me to get there. This week or next, I'd like to determine my 1rm for various lifts...mostly flat bench, squat, deadlift, and pull-ups. Maybe hang-clean if I'm feeling frisky. I'll move into more explosive movements with lighter weight within a week or so, then start wondering what to do in the off season. During the winter, I probably won't have access to a gym, so in addition to more yoga I'm interested in doing more body-weight exercises, especially gymnastics movements. I've browsed some videos recently, and those guys are wickedly strong, and functionally so--without excessive body mass that could kill a player on the field. I want to hit that balance, where I'm gaining mass and less liable to be pushed around on the field but not stuck with a body ill-suited for agility or endurance. My sport is weird that way.

No comments: