Saturday, November 24, 2007

Scrimmage vs CHS

Alright, so I've taken a hiatus from training for the sake of Thanksgiving. I cooked Thanksgiving dinner myself, including turkey, mashed potatoes, sweet potatoes, and green bean casserole. Delicious, if I do say so myself--I'm chowing down on leftovers as I type. Given the lack of updates, it's probably due time that I wrote about the scrimmage against Columbia HS.

First of all, playing one of the best high school programs in the country is a unique opportunity for a rising college team, and I think this connection will prove extremely valuable for both teams. Especially so because of Columbia's consistency: they have a strong talent pool, a dedicated coach, a great support structure, and blah blah blah. They're good, we're getting better. The one thing I think is weird as hell is the extreme variance of my teammates' reactions. Some of them lost to CHS playing in the NJHSU, so about half of us realize how legit this juniors team is. The rest of the team is new or nearly new to the sport, and thinks they're probably going to be chumps--after all, aren't we in high school? Perhaps I'm imagining that second reaction, but the sidelines buzz with that sort of sentiment--we're older, we should be winning.

But we don't. Our matchup at Club Sectionals was intense and competitive, everything a good game should be (except we lost..haha). Our most recent scrimmage was not terribly different, but for a few things. I hesitate to mention them--it wouldn't do to make excuses--but the truth is, I was disappointed in my team's performance. Our focus was to be zone, something both teams need work on. Therefore, we determined the test would be two games to 11. In the first, both teams were required to come down zone on the pull. The second game was to be a real game, albeit shortened.

Neither game went well. I saw a lot of mental mistakes from my teammates, and I know I forced too many throws. The throws I know I have, but could not complete due to the weather--my hands were cold, and I didn't adjust, so I suppose that's one big mental mistake as well. I think I played well overall, however, and I am fairly confident that my defense was strong. I did get handblocked by Zander, though...that never feels good. I got skied twice in the same point by taller opponents, the first a hammer that sailed past my head and the second on a high pop to somebody that should have been covered and wasn't my responsibility, but more and more I realize my deep defense needs some serious work. I did sky somebody on D at another point, though...he was taller than I, too.

We lost both games 6-11. It did not leave a bad taste in my mouth, though, which is only surprising because of how I try to nurture a competitive nature. I was far from content, however, and will take these memories with me to the weights and the track this winter. I believe I have mentioned already, though, how much respect I have for those guys. I agree with Ariel's assessment of our team: a lot of potential, a lot of work to be done. I am confident that we can succeed, and I am happy with what I've seen already this season. Nunez told us that we are the strongest he has seen Rutgers to ever be in the fall, and I know we are further ahead from where we were last year, but I am hungry. I feel like a lot has been left up in the air and we need to nail it down, get everybody to put in a lot more work--in the gym, on the field, and in their mental game especially--before we can even approach the kind of success I see us capable of. That's really what impresses me about CHS: they're doing it. I can see them peaking this spring.

It makes me want to hit them weights. I just wish I had the support of my teammates doing it with me.

No comments: