Sunday, November 25, 2007

Lifting, this Season

Somebody asked why I did so few reps in my workouts. This season, I've tried to work my way through (relatively) high rep, low weight workouts progressively to low rep, high weight. The general idea is that you build an endurance base, then try to put on more raw strength. Muscles can't sustain maximum output for long periods of time (think, the difference between a 5k, a 200m sprint, and a 40yd dash). By training maximal output, your body gets used to being explosive, or at least that's the hope. I'm no sports scientist, but I've had better results this season than I have before.

Senior year of high school, I trained 4 days a week doing mostly the same things, except I did no lower-body lifting other than occasional leg-presses and calf-presses. My leg work was purely derived from sprint and fencing workouts (lunges, wall sits, pistols squats, etc). Either I overtrained or underate or both, but I never got stronger. My max bench press was around 115lb (I hope to hit 130 in my next attempt). I always did at least 8 reps, usually no more than 16. I felt sort of weak, because even in my best workouts I never put up much weight--I just didn't know how. Now, I've mined the internet and found some very useful websites, the best being ExRx.

This is what I found:
Periodization
Foundational Split
Muscle recruitment

Also, here's some more info on periodization. They explain how it isn't beneficial for people who don't have competition dates and a specific timeline for their goals (i.e. non-athletes). The nice thing is, I am an athlete. I intend to peak at Sectionals. So I sort of figure that periodization could work for me. This is what I came up with:

Transition: 1 week, 1-2 sets of 10-12 reps
Endurance: 3 weeks, 1-3 sets of 15-20 reps
Hypertrophy: 4 weeks, 3-5 sets of 8-15 reps
Strength: 3 weeks, 5-8 sets of 3-5 reps
Power: 2 weeks, 3-5 sets of 5-10 reps

I'm taking a break in between strength and power, and I upped the number of reps for some of my strength workouts. I'll probably ease into power, then try some interval work. I've taken it fairly easy this fall, in terms of volume--I'll need to do more back and shoulder work, plus abs. But that was the plan for this season, and you can tell based on my posts what I've actually done. Realize, also, that I've had practices and tournaments, and I really didn't want to overtrain. I'm still learning how to put it all together. Hopefully, though, that answers your question, Mr. Anonymous.

No comments: