Saturday, November 22, 2008

Pickup

Walked to Buccleuch to stand around and watch the pickup crowd. Laughed at my inability to throw into stiff wind. Ended up playing 5v5 pickup. Dumb decision, but one consciously made after assessing the risks. I tried to keep my left hand out of the way and was mostly successful, but the disc knocked my wrist a little during a pancake and it worried me, but I think I'm okay. I made a nice move to get open deep--found myself between two defenders, mine and the last back, so I drove a step in towards the last back and then turned as he bit on the fake. The last back had his back deep and couldn't catch up, so I scored a nice long goal. Scored a couple other times, too, threw at least one, and got one real D. But I was unable to jump through a guy to catch a floating huck (I thought I could have done it, but I wasn't aggressive due to bone troubles) and missed at least two other D's and a chance to save possession because of the damn thumb. There was one point during which Dusty and I coordinated to shut down a few cutters with some mutual poaching, and I thought it was cool that we just recognized the situation and didn't have to say anything. So I'm still learning from pickup, which is cool (and not unexpected, given the guys that show up).

It felt good to play again.

No comments: